Re: Why not used standard SQL commands?

From: Thomas Kellerer <shammat(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why not used standard SQL commands?
Date: 2022-01-08 21:45:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Ali Koca schrieb am 08.01.2022 um 19:25:
> I'm seeing \dt used for "show tables", \l used for "show databases". Why
> not standart SQL syntax words? Why specified PostgreSQL commands?
> I can't figure out that.

The only thing the SQL standard defines to gain access to information about
tables, schemas and catalogs (=databases) is the information_schema views.

There is no "show database" or "show tables" statement in the SQL standard.

Btw: \dt is a command specific to the psql client - it's not a general
"SQL command" in Postgres