Re: Postgres bulk insert/ETL performance on high speed servers - test results

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Mike Sofen <msofen(at)runbox(dot)com>, 'postgres performance list' <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres bulk insert/ETL performance on high speed servers - test results
Date: 2016-09-07 19:22:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 9/4/16 7:34 AM, Mike Sofen wrote:
> You raise a good point. However, other disk activities involving large
> data (like backup/restore and pure large table copying), on both
> platforms, do not seem to support that notion. I did have both our IT
> department and Cisco turn on instrumentation for my last test, capturing
> all aspects of both tests on both platforms, and I’m hoping to see the
> results early next week and will reply again.

Something important to remember about Postgres is that it makes
virtually no efforts to optimize IO; it throws the entire problem in the
OSes lap. So differences in OS config or in IO *latency* can have a
massive impact on performance. Because of the sensitivity to IO latency,
you can also end up with a workload that only reports say 60% IO
utilization but is essentially IO bound (would be 100% IO utilization if
enough read-ahead was happening).
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532) mobile: 512-569-9461