Re: Replica vs standby

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
Cc: yanliang lei <msdnchina(at)163(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replica vs standby
Date: 2023-09-06 07:02:02
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 06.09.23 03:42, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> There are other cases in our docs where we call something a standby and
> mean only a physical standby/replica. Should these be clarified?

When "hot standby" was added, I argued that it's not really a standby if
it's hot. The response was that this is sort of a standard industry
term, and we should read "standby" to be equivalent to "replica". Which
I think is good enough. Obviously, the term "standby" is baked into
many user-visible interfaces, so it's not clear whether there is a clean
path to improving anything here.