Re: Postgresql 14 performance

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql 14 performance
Date: 2022-08-27 16:04:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 8/27/22 11:49, Jeff Janes wrote:
> I don't think that that follows at all. Proper index usage can vastly
> improve CPU-bound performance, not just Disk-bound performance. And
> that it used to be faster in the recent past suggests that it is
> certainly possible for it to be faster.
>
> I assume he is on a system/installation without a JIT provider, so
> even if jit is enabled in the postgresql.conf, it won't be used.

That may also be true. The plan attached by the OP doesn't have any JIT
information despite him telling us that JIT is turned on. As for the
proper index usage, I would need to look at the plan details, in
particular, how many rows were retrieved in each index range scan step.
Unfortunately, I don't have time to do that.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant