Re: Big image tables maintenance

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Big image tables maintenance
Date: 2018-09-17 13:45:17
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

On 09/17/2018 07:38 AM, still Learner wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I have a 10 TB size table with multiple bytea columns (image & doc)and
> makes 20TB of DB size. I have a couple of issues to maintain the DB.
>
> 1. I Would like to separate the image column from the 10TB size table,
> place it in a separate schema. The change should not result in any query
> change in the application.  Is it possible? Doing this it should not
> affect the performance.

That's called "vertical partitioning", which I don't think Postgres supports.

> 2. I can't maintain files on File system as the count is huge,

Eh? *You* aren't supposed to maintain the files on the filesystem;
*Postgres* is.

> so thinking of using any no-sql mostly mongo-DB, is it recommended? Or
> PostgreSQL itself can handle?
>
> 3. Taking the backup of 20TB data, is big task. Any more feasible solution
> other than online backup/pg_dump?

pgbackrest and barman are popular options.

(We have a database like yours, though only 3TB, and have found that pg_dump
runs a *lot* faster with "--compress=0".  The backups are 2.25x larger than
the database, though...)