PostgreSQL on Windows

From: Mark Vantzelfde <netmasters(dot)ma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL on Windows
Date: 2010-03-29 17:38:21
Lists: pgsql-general

I am running 8.4 on a Windows Vista system. The software was installed using
the auto-install process. PostgreSQL starts successfully as a service when
the system boots. The running postgres* processes can be verified via Task
Manager. I can run psql from the command prompt. I have the PGDATA env
variable set to the folder where the PostgreSQL data sits. Running the
pg_ctl status command from the command prompt returns "pg_ctl: no server
running". Ideas why pg_ctl doesn't know about the running services?

Mark