psql freezes loading large file

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql freezes loading large file
Date: 2006-05-23 00:18:08
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a test ".sql" file of the form:
insert into testtable values ('1');
insert into testtable values ('2');
insert into testtable values ('3');
100 Million

Right before I call the file with "\i" I do a begin transaction.
At some point during the load the process stops.
After some 5+ minutes of not seeing the inserts go by I pressed CTRL+C and
got the errors:

psql in free(): warning: recursive call
xmalloc: out of virtual memory
xmalloc: out of virtual memory

Tried without calling begin transaction and got the same problem.
Did psql ran out of memory?
When I did it without begin I did a select count(*) from the table and only
472 records got merged. Can't imagine psql running out of memory after

This is postgresql 8.1.3 Running on FreeBSD 6.1