Re: OS X Install

From: Monte Milanuk <milanuk(at)nwinternet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OS X Install
Date: 2004-10-17 22:24:36
Lists: pgsql-general

John DeSoi wrote:
> I think that would be the easiest approach (delete the account and
> recreate it from the command line). Hopefully this will give you a setup
> similar to the original one if you don't want postgres in the login
> menu. Once you have it in NetInfo, you can set it up like the other
> invisible users.

I went ahead and deleted the postgres user via the Account Manager and
set about creating the account from the command line. A little more
involved than I'd expected; I'd forgotten that OS X, while nominally
UNIX, doesn't use /etc/passwd and /etc/groups the way most of the BSD's
and Linux variants that I've played with do. Had to search the Unix
forum at Apple's Discussion board, and found a link to an article at
O'Reilly's that included details on how to set up a new user and group
from the command line using 'nicl' to manipulate NetInfo (the article
was specifically for Oracle, but it had the info I needed). Double
checked everything in NetInfo, looked good, so I started up postgreSQL.
Seems to be running OK. Now I just need to figure out what I'm going
to do w/ it ;)

Thanks,

Monte