Re: OS X Install

From: Monte Milanuk <milanuk(at)nwinternet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OS X Install
Date: 2004-10-16 21:56:03
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm kind of at the same point: I d/I'd the postgreSQL package from
entropy.ch, and it apparently installed OK. As mentioned, there already
was a postgres user in NetInfo (Panther on an eMac). Tried just
changing the password, home directory, and shell to valid values instead
of '*' and '/dev/null'. Couldn't login via 'su - postgres' at all.
Tried deleting the postgres user in NetInfo, and re-creating via the
Account Manager, but I kept getting an error message that I couldn't use
that name (postgres).

I read the post above about deleting the group info as well; that
allowed me to create a user 'postgres' via the Account Manager. Figure
I'll have to twiddle the home dir and shell and whatnot via NetInfo.
How do I make that user not visible in the login selection? Should I
delete the user 'postgres' in the Account Manager and re-create him w/
the necessary parameters (shell, home dir, password) from the Terminal?

Thanks,

Monte