Re: Best suiting OS

From: Jon Nelson <jnelson+pgsql(at)jamponi(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best suiting OS
Date: 2009-10-02 17:14:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 4:46 AM, S Arvind <arvindwill(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>       What is the best Linux flavor for server which runs postgres alone.
> The postgres must handle greater number of database around 200+. Performance
> on speed is the vital factor.
> Is it FreeBSD, CentOS, Fedora, Redhat xxx??

FreeBSD isn't Linux.

I don't recommend that you run Fedora, it undergoes way too much churn.

I don't find any real difference between CentOS and RedHat.

I personally prefer openSUSE (or SLES/SLED if you want their
commerical offering). I find it faster, more up-to-date (but no
"churn"), and in general higher quality - "it just works". I find
postgresql *substantially* faster on openSUSE than CentOS, but that's
purely anecdotal and I don't have any raw numbers to compare.

openSUSE 11.1 has 8.3.8 and 11.2 (not out yet - a few months) will have 8.4.X.

--
Jon