Cannot connect to server

From: "Paul Shapley" <p(dot)shapley(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Cannot connect to server
Date: 2008-09-05 06:45:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am attempting to 'add a connection' to the postgres database using
pgadminlll v_1.8.4, postgresql v 8.3.3 - 1 with PostGis 1.3.3 on Mac OS
10.5.4.

After an initial installation it may connect successfully for a couple of
days before I'm unable to connect anymore. It is always the same pattern.

I've tried the recommendations offered on the postgresql community pages but
nothing seems to work. I've made the usual changes to:

postgreql.conf ('*' instead of 'localhost')

pg_hba.conf

but cannot get any further than this error:-

Error connecting to the server: could not connect to server: No such file or
directory

Paul J. Shapley