Re: PostgreSQL and XML support

From: Doug Bloebaum <blabes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrey Fomichev <fomichev(at)ispras(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and XML support
Date: 2005-09-06 19:14:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9/6/05, Andrey Fomichev <fomichev(at)ispras(dot)ru> wrote:

> - Are there any of you who need to store and query XML data?

- Do you already use PostgreSQL to store XML data or you are
> just thinking about it?

The project I'm currently working on uses XML for both data extraction from
Postgres and as a means to transmit data to Postgres for storage.

- If you store XML data in PostgreSQL, how do you do it? What tool
> do you use?

We're using Oracle's XSQL servlet (
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/appdev.101/b10794/adx09xsq.htm)
with Apache tomcat (http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/) as its servlet
container. The only change we've made to XSQL is the addition of a custom
tag (<xsql:pg-func>) in order to make use of Postgres functions returning
REF CURSOR. Aside from that, we're using XSQL out-of-the-box.

Granted, we're not really manipulating XML within the database, rather we're
using XML as a sort of database-neutral interface.

- Do you need some advanced query capabilities? Like XQuery, XPath 2.0

No.

- Do you need some advanced update capabilities? Like node-level updates

No.