Re: PostGreSQL - Accessing It

From: Mel Roman <mel(at)melroman(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostGreSQL - Accessing It
Date: 2003-08-13 01:34:00
Lists: pgsql-general

In article <3F397B8E(dot)8080307(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Joshua D. Drake" wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>
>> I cannot access/create a database from root or any of the other
>> accounts I have setup for RH9. I noticed that there is a user setup
>> for postgres (I guess this part of the postgres install) but can’t
>> login as that user. I can’t even read or change the password. How do I
>> get at PostGreSql?
>>
> You need to be the user postgres. Try psql -U postgres template1 . You
> may also have to initdb the database.

I have the same problem as Michael. I've installed postgresql and am
running the service, but I can't log in as postgres. I just tried the
command line "psql -U postgres template1", but I get the message
"authentication failed for user 'postgres'". The administrator's manual
confirms that I first need to connect as this predefined user, but
doesn't say what that user's password is.

How can I find out the password for user postgres so that I can finally
begin working with this database?

TIA,

--

Mel Roman