Re: Why password authentication failed for user "postgres"?

From: "Frank Finner" <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why password authentication failed for user "postgres"?
Date: 2022-06-05 23:06:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2022-06-04 00:32, BeginnerC wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am a newbie to the postgres,when I use the psql to connect to the
> postgres,a error message printed:
> These command list like this:
>
> psql -U postgres
> Password for user postgres:postgres
> *postgreSQL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"*
> *
> *
> How to solve this problem?
> Thanks in advance!

* Which OS are you working on?
* Can you show us your pg_hba.conf?

If you use -U with psql, the connection must not try to use method
"peer" (which means "use the system user with this name", but also means
"You must be logged in with the system user corresponding to the
postgresql user"), but some kind of authorization, like md5, and use it
with IP address. This might be difficult for the user postgres, who
often has no password set in the database. If you really need to connect
with user postgres and some password, you can set one using the method
described by Reid Thompson.

Regards,

Frank

Attachment Content-Type Size
OpenPGP_0xE5418B2366C33EE6.asc application/pgp-keys 628 bytes