Re: is it possible to create partitioned tables using tables from different schemas

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: pabloa98 <pabloa98(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is it possible to create partitioned tables using tables from different schemas
Date: 2019-04-17 22:19:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/17/19 2:21 PM, pabloa98 wrote:
> I have a schema with a generated table with information coming from
> batch processes.
>
> I would like to store in that table manually generated information.
> Since those rows are inserted by hand, they will be lost when the table
> will be reimported.
>
> So I was thinking of creating a partitioned table with a column "origin"
> to select if the data is batch inserted or inserted by hand. Current
> generated by batch sub-table will live in its schema.
>
> I want the other sub-table containing manually inserted information
> living in another schema.
>
> Is this possible? Do I have to do something else (create some trigger,
> or something)?
>
> Something like:
>
> CREATE TABLE*automatic.*measurement (
> city_id int not null,
> logdate date not null,
> peaktemp int,
> unitsales int
> origin int
> ) PARTITION BY RANGE (origin);
>

> CREATE TABLE*automatic.*measurement_automatic PARTITION OF*automatic.*measurement
> FOR VALUES FROM (1) TO (1)
> PARTITION BY RANGE (origin);
>
> CREATE TABLE*manual.*measurement_manual PARTITION OF*automatic.*measurement
> FOR VALUES FROM (2) TO (2)
> PARTITION BY RANGE (origin);

It would seem so(with a caveat):

CREATE TABLE automatic.measurement (
city_id int not null,

logdate date not null,

peaktemp int,
unitsales int,
origin int
) PARTITION BY RANGE (origin);
CREATE TABLE

CREATE TABLE automatic.measurement_automatic PARTITION OF
automatic.measurement
test-# FOR VALUES FROM (1) TO (1)
test-# PARTITION BY RANGE (origin);
ERROR: empty range bound specified for partition "measurement_automatic"
DETAIL: Specified lower bound (1) is greater than or equal to upper
bound (1).

OOPS, so lets cheat:

<NOTE> Removed PARTITION BY RANGE (origin) as it is redundant and causes
problems later.

CREATE TABLE automatic.measurement_automatic PARTITION OF
automatic.measurement
FOR VALUES FROM (1) TO (2)
CREATE TABLE

CREATE TABLE manual.measurement_manual PARTITION OF automatic.measurement
FOR VALUES FROM (3) TO (4)
CREATE TABLE

The above assumes that manual origin will be in (1,2) and automatic in (3,4)

insert into automatic.measurement values(1, '04/16/19', 25, 100, 1);
INSERT 0 1

insert into automatic.measurement values(1, '04/16/19', 25, 100, 3);
INSERT 0 1

select * from automatic.measurement_automatic ;
city_id | logdate | peaktemp | unitsales | origin
---------+------------+----------+-----------+--------
1 | 2019-04-16 | 25 | 100 | 1
(1 row)

select * from manual.measurement_manual;
city_id | logdate | peaktemp | unitsales | origin
1 | 2019-04-16 | 25 | 100 | 3
(1 row)

--
Adrian Klaver