New LLVM JIT Features

From: preejackie <praveenvelliengiri(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New LLVM JIT Features
Date: 2019-04-01 19:21:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

I'm Praveen Velliengiri, student from India. I'm working on developing a
Speculative compilation support in LLVM ORC JIT Infrastructure.

As LLVM ORC supports compiling in multiple backend threads, it would be
effective if we compile the functions speculatively before they are
called by the executing function. So when we request JIT to compile a
function, JIT will immediately returns the function address for raw
executable bits. This will greatly reduce the JIT latencies in modern
multi-core machines. And also I'm working on designing a ORC in-place
dynamic profiling support, by this JIT will automatically able to
identify the hot functions, and compile it in higher optimization level
to achieve good performance.

I'm proposing this project for GSoC 2019. It would be helpful to know
how this new features are effective to pgsql engine, so that I include
your comments in "View from Clients" proposal section.

Please reply :)

--

Have a great day!
PreeJackie