Re: Installing repmgr alongside PostgreSQL installed via EnterpriseDB installer instead of repositories?

From: Andreas Kretschmer <andreas(at)a-kretschmer(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing repmgr alongside PostgreSQL installed via EnterpriseDB installer instead of repositories?
Date: 2017-05-11 14:40:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Am 11.05.2017 um 15:58 schrieb Martin Goodson:
> Hello. First time poster, so please be gentle :)
>
> I have a PostgreSQL 9.6 database cluster running on a standalone
> Redhat 7.2 (Maipo) server.
>
> This may seem like a silly question. It probably *is* a silly
> question, so apologies in advance.
>
> PostgreSQL was installed using the "EDB Postgres Standard" installer
> from EnterpriseDB -
> https://www.enterprisedb.com/software-downloads-postgres - and
> installed to a specific location - /db_<dbname>. No repositories,
> nothing in a 'standard' place.
>

> I have now been tasked with putting repmgr onto this box and
> converting it from a standalone to a multiple node setup (I have two
> additional servers lurking in the background ready for use :) ).
>
> Numerous articles on repmgr all seem to suggest it should be a
> relatively simply operation once the software is in place. Register
> the master. Clone standbys. Ought to be *relatively* straight-forward.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm having problems at the first hurdle - putting the
> software in place. We initially tried installing from the postgres
> repository rpm - which insisted, of course, on installing PostgreSQL
> as well as repmgr in /usr/pgsql-9.6. Obviously not the right place for
> it given we're running our binaries from
> /db_dbname/app/postgres/9.6.2-3/bin
>
> Is there a simple way to use repmgr from the package, perhaps by
> copying/linking files from that location to ours? (e.g.
> copying/linking some files from lib, bin, contrib, etc).

I think, repmgr *should* work with EDB-Version of PostgreSQL. You can
set pg_bindir in repmgr.conf. I would also suggest create symlinks in
/etc to the repmgr.conf.

Btw.: you also set

|service_start_command service_stop_command service_restart_command
service_reload_command service_promote_command|

Keep me informed if that works, thx.

Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com