PostGreSQL (7.3?) recovery, Mac OS X (10.3.8)

From: "Eric D(dot) Nielsen" <nielsene(at)MIT(dot)EDU>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Eric D(dot) Nielsen" <nielsene(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: PostGreSQL (7.3?) recovery, Mac OS X (10.3.8)
Date: 2005-04-13 00:30:39
Lists: pgsql-general

After an extended vacation from development activities on my computer,
I tried to get back to work, but the PostGreSQL backend was no longer
running. (Normally its part of my startup scripts.)

I tried su'ing over to postgres and running pg_ctl start. No luck,
seems like it lost the path. Type the full path /usr/local/bin/pg_ctrl
start, complains about missing PGDATA. Looks like all the environment
variables are gone. (I had read that 10.3 had some issues with shared
memory, but this seems unusual? ) Providing the full path to the data
directory

/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data start
LOG: database system shutdown was interrupted at 2005-04-12 20:11:05
EDT
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/2363FC0
LOG: redo record is at 0/2363FC0; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG: next transaction id: 38330; next oid: 36038
LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress
LOG: ReadRecord: unexpected pageaddr 0/364000 in log file 0, segment
2, offset 3555328
LOG: redo is not required
PANIC: XLogWrite: write request 0/2364000 is past end of log 0/2364000
LOG: startup process (pid 784) was terminated by signal 6
LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure

The startup fails. The timestamp on the first log appears to be during
the boot process of the computer.

PG_VERSION reports 7.3. This is just a "play" database that I use for
random testing. I believe its the version that came with the
PowerBook, unless its been updated by "Software Update", which I would
doubt. I believe I last used the database back around January.

I believe everything of "use" was already migrated a beta server;
however I would like to attempt any sort of recovery possible first, if
possible. What should I do next?

Eric