PostgreSQL on Korean Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

From: "Zombade, Prashant" <Prashant_Zombade(at)bmc(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Chhabra, Dheeru" <Dheeraj_Chhabra(at)bmc(dot)com>, "Sebastian, Sunil" <Sunil_Sebastian(at)bmc(dot)com>
Subject: PostgreSQL on Korean Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
Date: 2016-04-14 13:58:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Team,

This is my first ever interaction with PostgreSQL team. Please point me to appropriate mailing list in case I’m not approaching the correct one.

A description of what you are trying to achieve and what results you expect.:
I am developing a java based installer which internally installs PostgreSQL database binaries. With PostgreSQL 9.3 installation use to complete successfully.
Sometimes back we upgraded the PostgreSQL database to 9.4.4 and now installation is particularly failing on Korean systems with error “FATAL: cannot perform encoding conversion outside a transaction”. This is exactly as mentioned in response to BUG #13427 http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150812055719.GA1945333@tornado.leadboat.com No issues with Linux and English Windows locales.

For some reasons I am bound to use PostgreSQL database 9.4.4, cannot use higher version for now.
The problem is I am new to Postgres and I don’t know how to apply those patches.
Can someone help me in installing PostgreSQL database to 9.4.4 on Korean Windows machines.
Is there any workaround to avoid the error “FATAL: cannot perform encoding conversion outside a transaction”

PostgreSQL version number you are running: PostgreSQL 9.4.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1800, 64-bit

How you installed PostgreSQL: Copied the PostgreSQL 9.4.4 zip. Deployed and configured the binaries through my installer.

Changes made to the settings in the postgresql.conf file: Could not get the details.

Operating system and version: Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 빌드 7601)

What program you're using to connect to PostgreSQL: postgresql-9.4-1201.jdbc41.jar

Is there anything relevant or unusual in the PostgreSQL server logs?:

For questions about any kind of error:

What you were doing when the error happened / how to cause the error:

The EXACT TEXT of the error message you're getting, if there is one:
Following are the logs generated ---

Thu Apr 14 20:47:59 KST 2016=========== initdb.exe =============
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "Administrator".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale "Korean_Korea.949".
initdb: could not find suitable text search configuration for locale "Korean_Korea.949"
The default text search configuration will be set to "simple".

Data page checksums are disabled.

creating directory C:/Program Files/BMC Software/TrueSightPServer/truesightpserver/data/pgsql ... ok
creating directory C:/Program Files/BMC Software/TrueSightPServer/truesightpserver/data/pgsql_txnlog ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 400kB
selecting dynamic shared memory implementation ... windows
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in C:/Program Files/BMC Software/TrueSightPServer/truesightpserver/data/pgsql/base/1 ... ok
initializing pg_authid ... ok
setting password ... ok
initializing dependencies ... ok
creating system views ... ok
creating collations ... not supported on this platform
creating conversions ... ok
creating dictionaries ... ok
setting privileges on built-in objects ... ok
creating information schema ... ok
vacuuming database template1 ... ok
copying template1 to template0 ... ok
copying template1 to postgres ... ok
syncing data to disk ... ok

Success. You can now start the database server using:

1. "C:\Program Files\BMC Software\TrueSightPServer\truesightpserver\modules\pgsql\bin\postgres" -D "C:\Program Files\BMC Software\TrueSightPServer\truesightpserver\data\pgsql"
or
2. "C:\Program Files\BMC Software\TrueSightPServer\truesightpserver\modules\pgsql\bin\pg_ctl" -D "C:\Program Files\BMC Software\TrueSightPServer\truesightpserver\data\pgsql" -l logfile start

Results of the 1st command:
C:\Users\Administrator>"C:\Program Files\BMC Software\TrueSightPServer\truesight
pserver\modules\pgsql\bin\postgres" -D "C:\Program Files\BMC Software\TrueSightPServer\truesightpserver\data\pgsql"
FATAL: XX000: cannot perform encoding conversion outside a transaction
LOCATION: pg_do_encoding_conversion, src\backend\utils\mb\mbutils.c:360

Thanks in advance, any help is really appreciated.
Please let me know if you need any further information.

Best Regards,
Prashant