Re: detecting poor query plans

From: Sailesh Krishnamurthy <sailesh(at)cs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: detecting poor query plans
Date: 2003-11-26 15:59:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Neil> It occurred to me that these kinds of poor planning
Neil> decisions could easily be detected by PostgreSQL itself:
Neil> after we've finished executing a plan, we can trivially
Neil> compare the # of results produced by each node in the query
Neil> tree with the # of results the planner expected that node to
Neil> produce (look at EXPLAIN ANALYZE, for example). If the

Indeed. This is the approach being followed by the LeO project
(Learning Optimizer) at IBM Almaden.

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/software/dm/SMART/leo.shtml

There is a vldb paper that describes it ..

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh