Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: Sailesh Krishnamurthy <sailesh(at)cs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, thewolery(at)nospam(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL
Date: 2003-10-22 18:37:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> "Relational" is all about theory and proving things
>> mathematically correct. "MV" is all about engineering and
>> getting the result. And if that means pinching all the best
>> ideas we can find from relational, then we're engineers - of
>> course we'll do it :-)

Josh> "Relational" is all about preserving the *long-term*
Josh> integrity, utility, and accessability of your data. "MV" is
Josh> all about getting an expedient result immediately and to
Josh> heck with the future.

To emphasize the *long-term* - relational is all about separating
physical database representation from a logical view of the data.

Josh, I'll be happy to meet at Intermezzo - after Nov 24 perhaps. I
have a conference deadline .. the papers that we write "just to secure
funding" - your tax dollars at work. Long live the NSF !

BTW, I'm not necessarily that far from your views. There is, however,
more to an XML database than just storing data - relational databases
do just fine there. The tools that are used to build database systems
have other uses - for instance XML message brokers.

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh