Re: How can I list the function.

From: "Shoaib Mir" <shoaibmir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Harvey, Allan AC" <HarveyA(at)onesteel(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How can I list the function.
Date: 2007-02-01 08:25:11
Lists: pgsql-general

That actually depends on the nature of function as well. According to the
PostgreSQL manual:
\df [ pattern ]
\df+ [ pattern ]

Lists available functions, together with their argument and return types. If
pattern is specified, only functions whose names match the pattern are
shown. If the form \df+ is used, additional information about each function,
including language and description, is shown.

Note: To look up functions taking argument or returning values of a specific
type, use your pager's search capability to scroll through the \df output.

To reduce clutter, \df does not show data type I/O functions. This is
implemented by ignoring functions that accept or return type cstring.

I just tried the following at my end with 8.2:

CREATE FUNCTION add(integer, integer) RETURNS integer
AS 'select $1 + $2;'
LANGUAGE SQL
IMMUTABLE
RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT;

and then doing a

\df+ add

did show me the correct output...

You can also try the following to get the same type of results:

select proargtypes, prorettype, prosrc from pg_proc where proname =
'delete_old';

---
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)