Re: RHEL-8 Kernel Settings

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Johannes Truschnigg <johannes(at)truschnigg(dot)info>, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RHEL-8 Kernel Settings
Date: 2021-06-11 07:12:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, 2021-06-11 at 09:06 +0200, Johannes Truschnigg wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 08:56:13AM +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > [...]
> > I recommend setting
> >
> > vm.overcommit_memory = 2
>
> Be careful with this though, most applications no not allocate memory as
> thoughtfully as Postgres - so if your server is running any other kind of
> service/software in addition to Postgres, you should make sure that can
> survive Linux not overcommitting like there's no tomorrow, too.

On the contrary: if there is some software that allocates memory like crazy,
you want to disable overcommit, so that you get a nice OOM error rather
than killed processes, which result in PostgreSQL going through crash
recovery.

But I think that running such a misbehaving program on a database
machine is a bad idea.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe