Re: The empty list?

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jesper Krogh" <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The empty list?
Date: 2006-11-02 22:43:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 11/2/06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc> writes:
> > Whereas this gives a syntax error:
>
> > # select 1 in ();
> > ERROR: syntax error at or near ")" at character 14
> > LINE 1: select 1 in ();
> > ^
>
> I think the short answer why the spec disallows this (which it does)
> is that it considers the right-hand side to be a table, and with
> absolutely nothing there, there is no way to impute a rowtype to the
> table.

So if this syntax violates the specs then the ORM is the what needs to be
change. The ORM should not attempt to do this.

I have to use DB2 sometimes and it also does not allow empty ().

What ORM are you using that is trying to do this?

Aaron Bono
Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
http://www.aranya.com
http://codeelixir.com