Re: running PostGres without installing it

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "Amadeus Zilfinski" <amadeus0(at)cox(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: running PostGres without installing it
Date: 2006-08-06 20:13:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 8/6/06, Amadeus Zilfinski <amadeus0(at)cox(dot)net> wrote:

> <snip>
> >
> > For years I have struggled with desktop applications and data
> > access/storage. Databases are very powerful tools but, other than MS
> > Access, I have not seen any that are easily distributable bundled with
> > a desktop application. Not having a personal database to bundle with
> > my applications has proven to be a "one hand tied behind my back"
> > situation.
> >
> > Any ideas you guys have would be deeply appreciated.
> >

> SQLite can be complied to a single binary/.dll/.so and used. That is the
> route I'm looking at due to having to be an 'expert' to install
> PostgresQL, and how invasive it can be on a system. I don't have any
> experience with firebird or MySQL, so you might want to check out those.

Would something like SQLite support the full functionality that we get from
PostgreSQL: subqueries, transactions, views, triggers and stored
procedures? MySQL does not (yes I know they are adding some or all of this
but it isn't all there or proven to be reliable yet).

I will check SQLite out but MySQL is probably NOT a good option for this.
Historically it did not support subqueries (an absolute must for any serious
database user) - not sure if they have added subquery support recently or
not.

Aaron Bono
Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
http://www.aranya.com