Re: Foreign Key: what value?

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com" <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "Davi Leal" <davi(at)leals(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Foreign Key: what value?
Date: 2006-07-06 19:32:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 7/6/06, operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
wrote:

> i alsways make my foreign key column data type int4.
> i'm not sure if i read that somewhere. anyone, please
> feel free to chime in if this isn't good practice.
>
> read up on currval, nextval and that whole section.
> you can begin by getting the nextval, assigning it to
> a variable, insert it into your primary table and then
> insert it into your related table as a foreign key.
>
> from what i understand, either way should be
> bulletproof. the way i described is more code, but
> some minds might not mind paying that price b/c they
> like the process better.
>
> good luck.

Bigserial's are simply bigint's with a sequence that does the nextval part
for you. Your approach works but takes more coding on your part. I would
recommend using bigserial so you cut some of the work out for yourself.

-Aaron