Re: Alternative to serial primary key

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "David Clarke" <pigwin32(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alternative to serial primary key
Date: 2006-07-06 16:02:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 7/6/06, David Clarke <pigwin32(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I posted a couple of weeks back a question regarding the use of a 100
> char column as a primary key and the responses uniformily advised the
> use of a serial column. My concern is that the key is effectively
> abstract and I want to use the column as a foreign key in other
> tables.

I have a simple question... why do you want to use the column as a foreign
key in other tables? If you use the serial column then all you need is a
simple join to get the 100 char column out in your query. If you need to
make things simpler, just create a view that does the join for you.

Either there is some requirement here that I am not aware of or it sounds
like you may be trying to use a sledge hammer on a nail.

-Aaron