Re: Wrap (obfuscate) code

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: rdeleonp(at)gmail(dot)com, rdeleonp(at)yahoo(dot)com, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wrap (obfuscate) code
Date: 2006-07-04 20:55:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 7/4/06, Jonah H. Harris <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On 7/4/06, Rodrigo De Leon <rdeleonp(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I was wondering if there's a mechanism (or if not, a workaround) to
> > obfuscate server code (PL/PgSQL), a la Oracle's PL/SQL Wrap Utility:
>
> No, there is no such utility for PostgreSQL. And, even if there were,
> it wouldn't actually stop someone from reverse engineering it quite
> easily as the source code to PL/pgSQL itself is readily available.

I don't see how PostgreSQL being open source will stop obfuscation of the
PL/pgSQL from being possible. Sure you can look at the code for a stored
procedure but the point of obfuscation is to make it hard to understand, not
impossible to see. A very long stored procedure could be quite difficult to
read if it were obfuscated well - that would not stop someone from being
able to understand what you did, just make it so hard that it would be
unlikely that it is worth the effort.

-Aaron