Re: concurrency problem

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "sathish kumar shanmugavelu" <sathishkumar(dot)shanmugavelu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: concurrency problem
Date: 2006-06-16 14:00:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

I would use a BIGSERIAL for the ID. It simplifies your inserts, you don't
have to mess with any locking and the sequence is maintained for you outside
your transaction so two transactions can do inserts without stepping on each
other.

This is how I handle auto generated numbers.

The only downside is if an insert fails for some reason - then a number will
be skipped. You would have to have some really restrictive requirements for
this to matter though.

-Aaron Bono