Very weird problem of "order by" in postgresql

From: "Peter Cai" <newptcai(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Very weird problem of "order by" in postgresql
Date: 2008-09-08 03:51:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I have 2 postgresql running on linux on 2 different physical machines.

Then I create 2 identical database on them, both using utf8 as server
encoding and GBK as client encoding.

But when I try to order by some query result with a column containing
Chinese characters, the result is different!!!!

One db return result in correct Chinese alphabet order but the other
doesn't!

Is the problem of the configure of the operating system or the postgresql???

Thanks a lot!

PS : I read some solutions on this problem. It seems that many people met
the same order by problem and have to convert the strings to "GBK" in there
sql to get correct sorted result.
I don't think this is the correct solution.