Cannot restart postgresql when increasing max_connections

From: "Thom Brown" <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Cannot restart postgresql when increasing max_connections
Date: 2009-01-08 10:44:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have a server running 8.3.1 with 16Gb of memory and 8x2.5Ghz cores. The
max_connections was set to 100 (the default), but we were getting denied
connections because it had exceeded the max. We increased this to a modest
250, stopped the service, and then tried to start. It wouldn't. We stopped
it several times, made sure all postgres-related processes were killed off
but nothing would make it start. Actually, it said it had started, but it
hadn't. When setting it back to 100 it was okay again. We tried the same
thing on another server, setting it to 1000, and that was fine.

Am I missing something?

Thom