Re: is the base backup protocol used by out-of-core tools?

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: is the base backup protocol used by out-of-core tools?
Date: 2022-02-08 18:52:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/8/22 12:39, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 1:03 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:
>> I created this and added that for visibility and so it's not forgotten.
>> ISTM that could be done post-freeze, although I don't know if that's useful or
>> important.
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_15_Open_Items
>
> Thanks. I feel like this is in the department of things that are
> unlikely to be an issue for anyone, but could be. But the set of
> people who could care is basically just backup tool authors, so
> hopefully they'll notice this thread, or that list.

I'm aware of several tools that use pg_basebackup but they are using the
command-line tool, not the server protocol directly.

Personally, I'm in favor of simplifying the code on the server side. If
anyone is using the protocol directly (which I kind of doubt) I imagine
they would want to take advantage of all the new features that have been
added.

Regards,
-David