full featured alter table?

From: Sven Koehler <skoehler(at)upb(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: full featured alter table?
Date: 2003-06-12 14:20:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

one of the biggest disease of PostGreSQL is, that i can't change the
definition of a column.

In order to do that, i'd have to drop any keys, drop the column and
create a new one with all indexes etc.

Are there any plans to overcome that problem?
Even simple changes like varchar(20) to varchar(200) are not allowed.

I asked this question about 2 years ago, and there were only some guys,
that told me that i wouldn't need to change my DB if i'd plan it well.

So my DB is planned well, but i have to change it every now and than
because i must implement the changes that my client demands me to do,
and have some extra work that nobody will pay me for, if there's no way
to change a column.

This is the only missing feature, that prevent me to use this DBMS - i'd
love to, because it's an ORDBMS and that's what i'd have needed sometimes.