Re: Microsoft buys GitHub, is this a threat to open-source

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Thiemo Kellner <thiemo(at)gelassene-pferde(dot)biz>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Microsoft buys GitHub, is this a threat to open-source
Date: 2018-06-07 14:09:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2018-06-07 12:47, Vik Fearing wrote:
> On 07/06/18 13:46, Thiemo Kellner wrote:
>> Zitat von Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>:
>>
>>> Who hasn't missed sourceforge ? or ... freshmeat while we'are at it
>>> :)
>>
>> I am sticking to sourceforge still. I never understood what people
>> made
>> leave it.
>
> For many people, this is why sourceforge died:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge#Project_hijackings_and_bundled_malware

Yeah. The Wikipedia page mentions mentions 2015, however DICE (the new
owners
of SourceForge at the time) introduced it a few years earlier.

This is one of the earlier calls to action about the problem:

http://blog.gluster.org/how-far-the-once-mighty-sourceforge-has-fallen/

SourceForge were *really* pissed at me for writing that. As in, whinge
to my employer about me, threaten to get law people involved, etc.

They didn't get very far thankfully. :)

Anyway, we seem to be fairly off topic now...

+ Justin