Re: One PG process eating more than 40GB of RAM and getting killed by OOM

From: Jean-Christophe Boggio <postgresql(at)thefreecat(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: One PG process eating more than 40GB of RAM and getting killed by OOM
Date: 2023-10-13 14:31:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

Le 13/10/2023 à 15:12, MichaelDBA a écrit :
> Turn off the OOM killer so you would get a nicer me ssage in PG log
> file instead of crashing the PG service.
> vm.overcommit_memory=2

Did this and now the process dies much quicker (without seemingly
consume all the available memory)... Also I can not launch thunderbird
anymore with this setting...

Anyway, I also reduced work_mem to 128Mb

You can find the corresponding logs attached.

Thanks for your help,

JC

--

*Jean-Christophe Boggio*