Re: BUG #18635: " $libdir/adminpack could not be loaded" error with pg_upgrade to PostgreSQL17

From: "Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
To: "Bing Xu" <bing(dot)xu(dot)uh(at)fujifilm(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #18635: " $libdir/adminpack could not be loaded" error with pg_upgrade to PostgreSQL17
Date: 2024-10-10 00:56:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Oct 9, 2024, at 6:17 AM, Bing Xu wrote:
> I uninstalled adminpack from the database and was able to upgrade to PostgreSQL 17 normally,
> but why is there no record in the PostgreSQL 17 upgrade manual?

... because this list can be large along the years. That's why pg_upgrade adopts
loadable_libraries.txt file that reports the loadable module failures. You
should run pg_upgrade with --check option and if there is an error, check the
referred file.

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------------8<
$ /h/pg17/bin/pg_upgrade -b /h/pg16/bin -B /h/pg17/bin -d /tmp/foo16 -D /tmp/foo17 --check
Performing Consistency Checks
-----------------------------
Checking cluster versions ok
Checking database user is the install user ok
Checking database connection settings ok
Checking for prepared transactions ok
Checking for contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch ok
Checking data type usage ok
Checking for presence of required libraries fatal

Your installation references loadable libraries that are missing from the
new installation. You can add these libraries to the new installation,
or remove the functions using them from the old installation. A list of
problem libraries is in the file:
/tmp/foo17/pg_upgrade_output.d/20241009T213155.590/loadable_libraries.txt
Failure, exiting

$ cat /tmp/foo17/pg_upgrade_output.d/20241009T213948.961/loadable_libraries.txt
could not load library "$libdir/adminpack": ERROR: could not access file "$libdir/adminpack": No such file or directory
In database: postgres

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------------8<

It is highly recommended to read all release notes [1] from version X+1 to Y
where X is your current version and Y is your new version before upgrading.

In this particular case (adminpack), even though it belongs to Additional
Modules section, I would add it to Migration to Version 17 because it is an
incompatibility with the previous releases. Well, this ship has already sailed
and it is documented (lines below).

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/17/release-17.html#RELEASE-17-MODULES

--
Euler Taveira