Re: Vacuumdb on a table

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Murthy Nunna <mnunna(at)fnal(dot)gov>, "depesz(at)depesz(dot)com" <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuumdb on a table
Date: 2023-10-19 20:04:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, 2023-10-19 at 17:08 +0000, Murthy Nunna wrote:
> I retried with -F. That actually worked and lowered the relfrozenxid of the table.
>
> 1) I am wondering if -F option interferes with application (table lock, row lock etc).

No, it only does more work and wil use more resources.

> 2) It says "aggressively vacuuming "<table>". Do you always see this with -F option?
> Is it harmless in terms of locking select/insert/update/delete statements from application?

"Aggressive" is not as nasty as it sounds. It just means that it won't skip pages that are
all-visible or pinned by other backends.

My guess is that

vacuumdb --disable-page-skipping --no-index-cleanup -d <database> -t <table>

would have worked as well, and it would have been cheaper.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe