Re: pgsql: Skip full index scan during cleanup of B-tree indexes when possi

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Skip full index scan during cleanup of B-tree indexes when possi
Date: 2018-04-19 06:19:38
Lists: pgsql-committers

> Another thing that I noticed is that the metapage stores
> btm_last_cleanup_num_heap_tuples as a float4, even though
> xl_btree_metadata stores it as a double. I suggest that both places
> store it as float8, to be consistent. (It should not be double because
> we always avoid using anything other types with explicit typedef'd
> widths in WAL records.)
>

> Good catch, thank you!  I also agree that both these fields should be of
> float8 type.
> Please, find attached bt-vacuum-cleanup-float8-num-heap-tuples.patch
> fixing that.

Hm. patch changes on-disk representation of btree meta page. And there
is no support to upgrade meta page since 857f9c36 commit (and should
not, because that versions wasn't relesead), to prevent possible false
positive bug reports I suggest to bump catversion. Objections?

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/