Re: Strange error in Windows 10 Pro

From: Dale Seaburg <kg5lt(at)verizon(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange error in Windows 10 Pro
Date: 2018-04-24 02:09:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks to Moreno and Igor for the Event Viewer suggestions.  Here are a
few lines of log file where they differ between a good install and a bad
incomplete install.  The good install was from my Shop PC with Windows
10 Pro.

BTW, I had success with another Dell PC with Win 10 Pro about 4 months
ago.  This problem appears to be a one-off.

Good Install:
/Called AclCheck(C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6\data)//
//Called IsVistaOrNewer()...//
//    'winmgmts' object initialized...//
//    Version:10.//
//    MajorVersion:10//
//Executing icacls to ensure the SHOP-PC\Dale account can read the path
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6\data//
//    Executing batch file 'rad0510A.bat'...//
//    processed file: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6\data//
//Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files/

Bad Install:
/Called AclCheck(D:\PostgreSQL\9.6\data)//
//Called IsVistaOrNewer()...//
//    'winmgmts' object initialized...//
//    Version:10.//
//    MajorVersion:10//
//Executing icacls to ensure the WINDOWS-6BEGVO1\don king account can
read the path D:\PostgreSQL\9.6\data//
//    Executing batch file 'rad6DBC7.bat'...//
//
/Notice the last four lines of the *Good Install* vs the last two lines
of the *Bad Install*.  There is no indication of processing, or whether
it was successful or not in the bad install.

As you can see, I even took Igor's suggestion to install in a non-system
(Program Files) path, to no success.

Again, not sure what to do.  Open for suggestions...  I'm almost ready
to call Dell and complain about a "bad" Win 10 Pro install.

Dale
//