Re: pg_amcheck contrib application

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_amcheck contrib application
Date: 2021-03-11 08:12:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(I'm still not a fan of adding more client-side tools whose sole task is
to execute server-side functionality in a slightly filtered way, but it
seems people are really interested in this, so ...)

I want to register, if we are going to add this, it ought to be in
src/bin/. If we think it's a useful tool, it should be there with all
the other useful tools.

I realize there is a dependency on a module in contrib, and it's
probably now not the time to re-debate reorganizing contrib. But if we
ever get to that, this program should be the prime example why the
current organization is problematic, and we should be prepared to make
the necessary moves then.