Re: OT hardware recommend

From: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OT hardware recommend
Date: 2016-06-18 18:44:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On 06/17/2016 09:23 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net <mailto:andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
>
> I have access to quite a few laptop HD's (10 to 15 of them at least), and thought that might make a neat test box that might have some good IO speed.
>
> Needs to be cheap though, so linux with software raid, rack mount preferred but not required.
>
> Anyone have any experience with anything like that? $2K might be possible, painful, but possible.
>
> Suggestions?
>

> Sell them all and buy a couple of 800G SSDs? :)
Gaaa.. math!

Yep, had not thought about that. But do I want speed or space? How much could we sell them for? So many questions I had not thought about. I'd just thought, "huh, a pile of laptop drives, I'd better raid them", and not much else.

We have good production boxes, so this would only be for test/play. I don't even really have a purpose, other than maybe learning something new.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

-Andy