Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows
Date: 2024-06-13 22:13:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 13 Jun 2024, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> Not with:
>
> Table "public.companies"
>
> [...]
> "organizations_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (company_nbr)
>
> That would throw duplicate key errors.
>
> Are you sure that you did not do this on the contacts table as the company FK
> back to companies?

Adrian,

Yes, I'm sure. Early yesterday I did get duplicate key errors. That's when I
looked on stackexchange to learn how to reset the sequence's max value to
the value of the number of rows in the table. Not only did my attempt to add
a single new company to the companies table change all company names in that
one industry to the new name, but I just discovered that it changed all rows
in that column to the new company name:

company_nbr | company_name
-------------+-------------------------------------------------
1 | Markowitz Herbold PC
2 | Markowitz Herbold PC
3 | Markowitz Herbold PC
4 | Markowitz Herbold PC
5 | Markowitz Herbold PC
6 | Markowitz Herbold PC
7 | Markowitz Herbold PC
8 | Markowitz Herbold PC
9 | Markowitz Herbold PC
10 | Markowitz Herbold PC
11 | Markowitz Herbold PC
12 | Markowitz Herbold PC
13 | Markowitz Herbold PC
14 | Markowitz Herbold PC
15 | Markowitz Herbold PC
16 | Markowitz Herbold PC
17 | Markowitz Herbold PC
18 | Markowitz Herbold PC
19 | Markowitz Herbold PC
20 | Markowitz Herbold PC
22 | Markowitz Herbold PC
23 | Markowitz Herbold PC
--More--

So now I need to extract the companies table data from my 2024-06-10 backup
and use that to update the entire table. Sigh. There are 2101 rows in that
table and I must have forgotten to specify industry for that one new
addition. Not like me to do so, but it's the only explanation I have.

It might be quicker for me to restore the entire database from that backup
and then insert all new table rows since I have saved all the scripts.

Regards,

Rich