Re: Calculating average block write time

From: Thomas Kellerer <shammat(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Calculating average block write time
Date: 2022-11-18 10:11:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Thomas Kellerer schrieb am 04.11.2022 um 10:19:
> I can easily calculate the average block read time using
> pg_stat_database and divide blk_read_time by blks_read.
>
> While there is a column blk_write_time, it seems that there is no
> cummulative measure for the total number of blocks written.

Any ideas on how to get the equivalent of (blk_read_time / blks_read) for blk_write_time?

I thought about using tup_updated + tup_inserted + tup_deleted because each tuple change would require at least one block written.
However, a single block write could update multiple tuples so the result of that wouldn't be accurate (too low).

Thanks
Thomas