Re: Fastest Backup Method?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Artem Tomyuk <admin(at)leboutique(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fastest Backup Method?
Date: 2017-09-05 18:50:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 9/4/17 13:23, Artem Tomyuk wrote:
> I'am wondering, what is the fastest backup method do you know, for me it is:
> (Assume that we running on 16 * CPU  box)
>
> pg_dump -Z 4 -j 16 -F c -F d
>
> -Z 4 compression level
>
> -j 16 number of parallel jobs
>
> -F c, d  custom+directory format

I think you misunderstood that last part. There can only be one output
format, and the last option wins. So you are really running in
directory format only.

As for performance, you generally have the right idea. Specifics depend
on the hardware.

My experience is that any compression at all can be bad for performance.
But the I/O cost might balance that in some cases.