Re: ResultSet.getObject(..., LocalTime.class) not working with Postgres timetz type

From: Philippe Marschall <pm(at)netcetera(dot)ch>
To: Philippe Marschall <pm(at)netcetera(dot)ch>, pgsql-jdbc(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mark Rotteveel <mark(at)lawinegevaar(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: ResultSet.getObject(..., LocalTime.class) not working with Postgres timetz type
Date: 2019-05-10 11:40:12
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 19.04.19 15:36, Dave Cramer wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 13:19, Philippe Marschall <pm(at)netcetera(dot)ch
> <mailto:pm(at)netcetera(dot)ch>> wrote:
>
> On 17.04.19 19:10, Dave Cramer wrote:
> > Not everyone agrees with WITH TIMEZONE qnd it doesn't help that the
> > server does not store the timezone
>
> It is my understanding the server converts to UTC when storing and
> returns UTC.
>

> Yes, so the problem becomes what Timezone should we convert it to ? The
> server timezone, or the client timezone?

I don't think we should do conversion. To me JDBC in an interface to the
database, it exposes the database functionality, behavior and semantics.
I personally expect JDBC to return what the database returns. If I want
to have it converted to something else then I have to do that with the
semantics I want.
Java 8 Date Time types allow us to do exactly this.

Cheers
Philippe