Re: running PostGres without installing it

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "jesus martinez" <jesus_martinez1967(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: running PostGres without installing it
Date: 2006-08-06 05:25:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/6/06, jesus martinez <jesus_martinez1967(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)ar> wrote:
> hello, how are you ?
>
> i want to distribute a copy of PostGres to my clients.
> they really dont know anything about installing
> programs or
> configurating remote RDBMS sql-servers,
> so i dont want to give them the
> "official-PostGres-installer.exe"
> but my own installer.exe (win32) that:

I've done it, it's not to difficult. In fact, if you check the
archives you might find a tutorial. The hard part in windows is
launching a cmd process to initdb the database since it can't run as
administrator. I had to use a program called 'sanur' to allow me to
feed the password to runas.

Also check out ntrights.exe to grant logon as service right and the
'net' command to add a user.

Have you looked at silent mode install with standard installer?

merlin