Re: file system and raid performance

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: file system and raid performance
Date: 2008-08-07 21:57:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

2008/8/8 Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> noatime turns off the atime write behaviour. Or did you already know
> that and I missed some weird post where noatime somehow managed to
> slow down performance?

Scott, I'm quite aware of what noatime does ... you didn't miss a post, but
if you look at Mark's graphs on
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5_Tuning_Guide
they pretty much all indicate that (unless I completely misinterpret the
meaning and purpose of the labels), independent of the file-system,
using noatime slows read/writes down (on average).

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :} Make your quotes concise.