Re: New to Postgres

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Mike Nees" <jmnees(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New to Postgres
Date: 2006-08-12 05:44:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 8/12/06, Mike Nees <jmnees(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm new to PostgreSQL. I have a background as an Oracle PL/SQL programmer.
> I'm wondering if there's a comparable Postgres utility to Oracle's
> SQL*Loader? I have several large fixed record length files that I need to
> load into the Postgres db. Currently, I'm using the COPY command to load
> the data into temporary tables; I then parse the data and insert into a new
> table. I'm wondering if there is a better solution. Any help would be
> appreciated.
Or, in addition to Richards suggestion, you could conceivably
(you forgot to mention which OS you're using Postgres under)
use command-line tools like awk to put your data into a proper
format before you pipe it to your COPY command.

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :} Make your quotes concise.