Simplify COMMENT and SECURITY LABEL documentation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Simplify COMMENT and SECURITY LABEL documentation
Date: 2021-06-01 06:58:26
Lists: pgsql-docs

The COMMENT ref page says (and SECURITY LABEL similarly):

The name of the object to be commented. Names of tables,
aggregates, collations, ..., and views can be schema-qualified.

and it lists all such possible object types. I find this tedious to
read. (And there are omissions. For example materialized views are not
listed.) I wonder if it would be more practical to just write:

The name of the object to be commented. Names of objects that live
in schemas (tables, functions, etc.) can be schema-qualified.

There are also examples at the end that cover this if there is any doubt.

Patch attached. Thoughts?

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-doc-Simplify-COMMENT-and-SECURITY-LABEL-documentatio.patch text/plain 2.2 KB