Yet Another Socket .s.PGSQL.5432 Problem

From: "Hilton Perantunes" <hperantunes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Yet Another Socket .s.PGSQL.5432 Problem
Date: 2007-08-15 20:13:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi folks!

That's another "sob sob.. I can't connect to socket blah blah ..
.s.PGSQL.5432" asking for help. But this is somewhat bizarre, and i'm not
used to the 8.2's postgresql.conf file.

I'm running a PostgreSQL 8.4.2 powered by Debian Sarge (very)Unstable. My
PHP application successfully connects to the appropriated database. Even
PgAdmin3 connects to the database. But my 'postgres' user cannot connect to
the database via command line:

----------
psql: could not connect to server:
connections on Unix domain socket
"/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
----------

Well, the socket file actually IS there (zero bytes of size) and it's given
the correct permissions. Now, I have this in my pg_hba.conf (replace XXX by
my network, and I just added the second line recently, in despair):

----------
local all all trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all XXX.XXX.XXX.1/24 trust
host all postgres 127.0.0.1/32 trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 trust
----------

Finally, that's the hot section in my postgresql.conf:

listen_addresses = '*' # what IP address(es) to listen on;

port = 5432 # (change requires restart)

So, I just can't connect in the database through command line. Someone can
waste some time helping me?

Thanks in advance =)

--
Hilton William Ganzo Perantunes
Sistemas de Informação - Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina